Members shall strive to improve and advance their
knowledge and expertise in the profession of Building Design and
shall expend every effort to contribute to its improvement and growth.
- Members shall continuously strive to demonstrate
and improve both their knowledge and competence.
- Members shall seek a method of improving the
design standards of the day to the highest possible level.
- Members shall attempt to promote public awareness,
as it relates to evaluating professional competence in the building
Members shall strive to serve the public and
their profession in every aspect of both professional and ethical
- Members shall keep themselves informed of
all pertinent laws, ordinances, and building codes.
- Members shall not engage in , assist, or be
a party to any business practice which is or could be fraudulent,
illegal, or deceptive.
- Members shall not knowingly infringe on the
copyright of anothers' work either in the profession or in business
- Members are encouraged to be involved in community
and civic activities that are beneficial to their community, state,
- Members shall not discriminate in their professional
conduct on the basis of race, religion, gender, physical/mental
disability, or national origin.
Members shall conduct their professional activities
contributing to the health, welfare, and safety of the public and
to the advancement and understanding of their profession.
- Members acting in a professional capacity
shall make clear whether statementsor actions are personal opinions,
or have official direction and approval when such statements might
be construed to represent the Institute
- Members shall not make misleading statements
regarding their expertise, qualifications, or performance.
- Members shall exercise reasonable effort in
assuring that their work is in the best interest of public health,
welfare, and safety and to encourage such action in others of
the building industry.
The Code of Ethics and Conduct shall be adopted
at the convention of the Institute and shall take effect at such
time as determined by the resolution of adoption.
This Code of Ethics and Conduct shall be enforced
by such remedies and resolutions adopted by the convention of the
Institute Board of Directors and maintained in the Standing Book
The Code of Ethics and Conduct applies to the
professional activities of all members of the American Institute
of Building Design.