- This event has passed.
The Green Home Institute’s – “Comparing mechanical systems in passive house multifamily” – Free CE Webinar
February 2 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm EST
Details about this event
Join Tim McDonald as he details his firm’s journey through mechanical and ventilation systems for passive houses and net-zero multifamily design and renovation with a discussion of getting to the dream of the magic box that heats, cools, ventilates, and does humidity control all in one, how close are we?
Continuing Education Units (CEUS) 1 hour in
- Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI)
- Building Performance Institute (BPI) NonWholeHouse
- American Institute of Architects – AIA (HSW) (PENDING)
- Certified Green Professional (NARI & CGP)
- Certified GreenHome Professional (CGHP)
- State Architect / Builder License may be applicable
- Understand the process to choose the best mechanical systems for multifamily whether aiming high for net-zero or passive house or just building better
- Review heatpumps vs gas systems, geo vs air and central vs decentral system, what makes the most sense and how does it help with LEED BD+C V4 Homes Energy and Atmosphere Annual Energy Use
- Articulate different mechanical systems needed for passive house and LEED BD+C V4 Homes Energy and Atmosphere Minumum Energy performance
- Know where to go to get more information on advanced systems and how they help with LEED BD+C V4 Homes Energy and Atmosphere Annual Energy Use
Instructor: Timothy McDonald
Timothy is the President and CEO of Onion Flats LLC, and a licensed architect in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. In 1997, with his brother Patrick, he co-founded Onion Flats LLC. Tim has been an adjunct Professor of Architecture at Philadelphia University, Temple University, University of Calgary, and University of Pennsylvania. His service and experience extends into his community by holding current positions in the Northern Liberties Neighbors Association Zoning Committee, the Philadelphia Sustainability Advisory Board, as well as a previous position on the Old City Civic Association Board of Directors. Tim is also Founder/President of FAARM, a non-profit organization dedicated solely to the exhibition of art and architecture in Philadelphia.
As a partner in Onion Flats, Tim’s role is Lead Architect and Construction Manager. In 2005, Tim and his brothers Pat and John, in conjunction with Howard Steinberg formed the architecture firm Plumbob, LLC and JIG, Inc., a General Contracting, Construction Management and Green Roof company, allowing this team to provide full design-build services for both clients and their own developments. Additionally, Tim is a Certified LEED Accredited Professional and Passive House Certified Consultant and Tradesman.