- This event has passed.
The GreenHome Institute’s – “Hemp Insulation 101” – Free CE Webinar
February 1 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm EST
About this event
An overview of the history of U.S. grown industrial hemp and new U.S. manufactured hemp fiber insulation. Participants will learn how this zero V.O.C. and negative embodied carbon product can create local jobs, clean the environment, and shorten supply chains.
Continuing Education Units (CEUS) 1 hour in
- Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI)
- Building Performance Institute (BPI) NonWholeHouse
- American Institute of Architects – AIA (HSW) (PENDING)
- Certified Green Professional (NARI & CGP)
- Certified GreenHome Professional (CGHP)
- State Architect / Builder License may be applicable
- Review the History of Hemp and how it can be designed and spec’d in your project in the US and in many parts of the world
- Understand the Embodied Carbon of Hemp wool and how it can be leveraged in LEED BD+C V4 MR Credits Environmental Building Declarations & HOMES environmentally preferable products
- Perform aa Comparative Analysis of Insulations and their connections to energy savings for HEMP in LEED BD+C V4 EA Homes Annual Energy Use
- Understand the Installation Recommendations of Hemp Wool and how it benefits LEED BD+C V4 EA Homes Annual Energy Use
Instructor: Shawn Torbert
After studying molecular & cell biology, philosophy, and writing at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA, Shawn spent a decade in the medical device industry as a top-performing salesperson in the NYC and Philadelphia markets. Ultimately disenfranchised by the corruption and waste of the industry at that time; he left in 2007 to start up Philadelphia’s first green building material supply company, Greenable, Inc. Since then, he has maintained a strong focus on sustainable building materials, energy-efficient design & construction, Net Zero Energy and Net Zero Carbon buildings, building energy policy, climate action plans, and circular economy strategy in North America for multiple global and domestic corporations. He regularly lectures as a subject matter expert for municipal, state, & federal agencies, NGOs, academia, trade organizations, and community stakeholders. Shawn has published several articles on the built environment as the main driver to minimize the effects of climate change.
Shawn served on the Board of Directors of New York Passive House (NYPH) from 2014 to 2016 and co-founded the New Jersey Passive House (NJPH) Chapter of the Passive House Network (PHN). He is a Passive House Instructor at the Building Energy Exchange NYC and Passive House Trainer for the PHN.
Shawn holds a Master of Science degree in Sustainability Management from Columbia University in the City of New York, and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology from Lehigh University. He is a LEED AP and a Certified Passive House Consultant/Designer (CPHC/D) accredited through the Passivhaus Institute in Darmstadt, Germany.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER: