Are you a residential design professional?
You deserve a voice – we understand what you do because we do it too.
The AIBD is a nationally recognized organization dedicated to promoting and supporting the profession, providing resources and tools that help professionals succeed, and advocate for our members.
AIBD membership offers many benefits, including:
- Networking opportunities so when another member has too much work, they can send some your way (or vice versa).
- Continuing education programs, so you won’t be left behind while your competitors learn the latest techniques and marketing practices.
- Discounts on products and services from industry partners give your clients a reason to choose you over the other design firms.
- Access to exclusive content in our members-only website section (including articles, courses, design details, and more by experts).
- Recognition as an AIBD Professional Member with your name and information listed in our directory of members online.
As a member of the American Institute of Building Design, you will have access to all these great benefits plus more!
Whether it’s gathering new tools for success or sharing your experience, knowledge, or expertise – there are many ways to get involved with the AIBD.
By joining the AIBD, you can help us promote and protect the profession we all love – residential building design!
It’s never been easier than it is right now to become part of the American Institute of Building Design family – so don’t wait another minute before joining this prestigious organization dedicated exclusively to supporting and promoting the residential design profession.
Our mission: “Building a better residential building design profession, one designer at a time.”
Join over 1000 active members in the residential design and building industry!
More Membership Benefits…
These are just a few of the benefits AIBD members receive.
- Access to AIBD’s DesignerDocs ($99 value) for free.
- EXCLUSIVE Access to AIBD’s Design Details, assembled by our High-Performance Homes Team (unavailable to non-members).
- Discounts on live webinar training ($100+ value, notified via email).
- Discounts on recorded training ($100+ value).
- E & O Insurance (Product availability and rates vary by state and individual circumstances).
- Exclusive discounts from our partners (notified via email).
- And much more!
I have been an AIBD member since 2000. If not for AIBD I would not have excelled as a professional building designer over the past 21 years. I believe that the more you put into something the more you get out of it. My recent website traffic reports reveal that the most public visited pages on my site include pages as a direct result of my AIBD membership. Those pages included receiving the AIBD Designer of the Year in 2018, my announcement of receiving my NCBDC certification (CPBD) and announcements of the awards won through AIBD’s design award program the American Residential Design Awards (ARDA).
Public attention to these accomplishments through my AIBD membership has awarded me with many projects that have led to a lifetime of creating fun filled residential designs, client relationships and colleague friendships that have made my job as a certified professional residential designer a great self-fulfilling career. Thank you, AIBD!
- Professional Member ($289) – The Standard level of membership for members who are building designers in a professional capacity.
- Associate Member ($160) – Sell building products, offer building design support services such as landscape design, building official, contractor, etc. (Associate Members employed by a Corporate Member receive a $160 credit).
- Educator Member ($70*) – An individual whose sole relationship to the profession of building design is as an educator, currently teaching in a high school, college, university, or a vocational or career school.
- Student Member ($15) – Is enrolled either full or part-time, in architecture or engineering, architectural drafting, or design technology in a university, college, community college, vocational school, career institution, or high school.
The links will take you directly to the AIBD online store to “purchase” a membership. If you do not already have a profile set up in our database, you may want to do that first [click here]
“I’m dealing with other young people and showing them that this organization, I believe truly is the future of residential design.”– Robert Platt, in the Let’s Talk Certification podcast.
To download a PDF membership form [click here].
Membership begins immediately and renews every twelve months. Members wanting to belong to any or all AIBD chapters may be charged additional dues by the chapter. Contact each local chapter individually to inquire (www.AIBD.org/chapters).
Corporate Member – Corporate members provide products or services to regional or national markets. Corporate members may have representatives in one or more states and should they choose to become involved as Associate members, their local membership dues are included with the national membership. Nonprofit organizations pay a substantially reduced membership fee.
To download Corporate membership application [click here]
To apply online for Corporate membership [click here]
Download an industry demographics report [click here]
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Where do I send my membership form?
A: Email or fax your application for immediate processing.
Fax: 866-204-0293; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Mail: AIBD – Membership, 110 Front Street, Suite #300, Jupiter, FL 33477
Q: Once I join, how do I change my contact info and who has access to this information?
A: You may log into the Member Center (use the link above) to update your contact information. Only members are able to see your contact information. If you are a Professional Member, certain contact details are listed on the AIBD website for consumers to locate you. In addition, AIBD Corporate members are given access to the national member roster. For a list of AIBD Corporate members [click here]
Q: How long does it take to process my application?
A: Online memberships are processed the moment they are submitted. Membership forms sent by mail, fax or email are processed within two working days from the date we receive them.
Q: Can I pay for my membership using a credit card?
A: Yes. Online applications are charged immediately. The downloadable application provides a space to enter credit card information. Members may also call the AIBD national office and provide credit card information over the phone.
Q: If I join, can I use the AIBD logo on my plans?
A: With a membership in AIBD you are able to use the AIBD Member Logo as it relates to your business. Only AIBD Professional members certified by NCBDC may use the acronym “AIBD” after their name. Download the AIBD Branding Guidelines at www.AIBDmember.org/brandingguidelines.pdf.
Q: What are the volunteer opportunities after I join?
Q: What happens if I let my membership expire?
A: Members have until 60 days after their expiration to renew their membership. After 60 days, a member simply signs up again as a new member. Interruptions in membership may cause issues when qualifying for retired or lifetime membership.
Q: What are the requirements after I become a member?
A: This will vary depending on your level of membership. All members are required to keep their membership dues current based on their renewal date and selected payment option. Certified Professional Members are required to maintain continuing education credits as well. It is also extremely important to keep your contact information updated.
Q: What opportunities are available to members and their companies?
A: Joining as a Professional will automatically put 60 years of experience after your name. However, there are many more opportunities to be discovered. Including:
- A listing, with a link to your website, on the AIBD national website’s “Find a Design Professional” search page.
- A subscription to the AIBD Legislative Alert program.
- Access to publications, service contract templates, copyright information, and more – many of which are free.
- Networking with others who specialize in residential or light commercial design.
- Discounts with Whirlpool, FedEx, HP, Green Builder College, VELUX, and more.
- Access to national, regional and online educational sessions – many of which are free.
- Discounted National Convention Registration
- Business and marketing tools
Q: Is there any way to get a discount on membership?
A: Other than during specific membership drives, there are two ways to receive a membership discount. Professional members who sponsor three new Professional members within their membership year are awarded a 100% discount on their next year national dues. In addition, periodic membership drives offer discount rewards for recruiting new members during the drive.
Refer to www.AIBDmember.org/compassclub for more information.
Q: Where can I find Copyright information?