The inside of a home is just as important as the exterior.
Indeed, it can make or break the feel of a place and prove to be the difference between an average house and a great one.
As we are about to see, residential design covers everything from rooftops to carpets.
As a result, it has a real impact on our lives.
To help you navigate this vast subject, we have pulled together some of our best resources.
This article will help you understand residential design, how it is different from commercial design, its relationship to architecture, and its importance.
What Is Residential Design?
It is the process of planning and developing a new home.
This process includes, but is not limited to, a contract specifying details about the design, construction, and pricing obligations.
It can also be defined as the art of decorating, furnishing, and arranging the interior and exterior of a building.
A combination of common sense and practical aspects confine the whole process.
It also includes other elements such as construction, building features, environmental aspects, architectural style, the usability of the building, and others.
It’s not just about what the design of your living room looks like, but it’s also a well-thought-out plan that helps you live well within your budget.
Limiting the number of materials used to assemble is also covered.
The ultimate goal is to develop a building structure that could allow more design creativity.
What Is the Difference Between Commercial and Residential Design?
As discussed, residential designers create a cordial, liveable, and inviting living space with an exquisite personal touch.
These designers work with their clients to consider their tastes and styles.
In Commercial design, the designer considers the physical structure and codes.
The designer also focuses on integrating the community and the surroundings in the design.
In simpler terms, the designer here emphasizes the needs of the public.
Commercial designers work on commercial units such as a shop, a supermarket, a mall, or an office.
In contrast, their residential counterparts work on living houses.
What Is a Building Designer?
A building designer is a person responsible for designing a building.
They usually start by working for a construction firm or a design department of an architecture firm or an engineering company.
Many of our members are solo or small business owners.
It’s their job to create a whole building from a drawing up to the finished product.
The designer also must ensure that the building meets all the legal requirements and standards set by local, state, or federal governing bodies.
In most cases, a building designer can do all the work of an architect.
The only thing they lack is an architecture license.
A Building Designer may offer a complete set of professional services to their client, which can consist of:
- Discuss with their client to confirm the structure’s type, size, and eventual usage during the initial planning stage.
- Planning, design, and preparation for the construction phase.
- Meeting new clients and assisting them in understanding ideas and concepts related to their needs.
- Presenting the overall appearance of the structure to the client at different phases of construction.
- Final inspection and document preparation to indicate the overall process of assembling and constructing the structure.
- Preparing final drawings and passing them over to engineers for final checking before issuing them for construction purposes.
- Providing periodic progress reports on the building’s progress to their clients and maintenance teams.
- Providing final documentation to clients and applying for issuance of a building permit.
- Preparing the finishing documents, such as selecting appropriate products and materials.
- Coordinating with clients, contractors, and suppliers to ensure proper execution and timely completion of the task.
What Is a Home Designer?
A home designer is typically a building designer specializing in design plans for homes rather than all types of buildings.
It’s just another way to say “residential designer.”
What Is the Difference Between an Architect and a Home Designer?
Hiring a home designer or an architect can be a great choice when designing your home.
These two are two different professionals who hold the same skills and responsibilities.
As home designers are building designers, they aren’t much different from architects.
The most significant difference is that they lack a license while architects hold a license.
How are they the same?
Both are responsible for designing the interior elements.
These elements include the flow of spaces, material selection, and style.
Both are responsible for adding aesthetic value to a building.
And both are responsible for creating detailed blueprints of the structure while also ensuring the building is up to the required state or federal codes.
What Do Architects Do?
The following are some of the everyday tasks and responsibilities of architects:
- Preparing a preliminary design of the structure and presenting it to the client for review.
- They design all types of buildings. Their work area is not limited to homes. It also includes schools, stadiums, hospitals, restaurants, skyscrapers, and other facilities.
- Architects closely supervise construction works done by construction firms to ensure the desired result.
- They design structures that incorporate functionality, form, and needs of current and future owners.
- Architects create buildings that incorporate beauty.
- They have advanced mathematical and logical thinking, ensuring their designs are in stable, solid structures, providing all the users’ safety.
What Do Home Designers Do?
The following are some of the everyday tasks and responsibilities of home designers:
- They work with their clients to understand their needs and requirements. This way, they can create the best design for them.
- They use various available software while working on the plan to ensure the structure looks aesthetically pleasing.
- They provide their clients with samples of materials used in previous projects to help them design their homes.
- Sometimes, they also offer examples of actual furniture pieces for their clients to choose what they prefer.
- Home designers professionally study space planning. They can space plan for all types of homes.
- Home designers design structures that incorporate beauty and functionality. They also ensure safety by adhering to building codes and safety.
Why Is Residential Design Important?
- Residential designers are essential because they play a crucial role in the placement and designing of the layout of a house. For example, if you have a small place, the designer will develop a design that utilizes your limited space.
- They also play an essential role in helping clients create a safe and comfortable environment within their homes.
- Residential designers are responsible for providing wonderful living spaces that would help us improve and enrich our lives.
- They also improve the house’s overall look, which enhances the feel and the mood of people living inside.
- These designers are professionals. Having done so many design projects in their life, they have adopted a way to complete your entire design in good time. Hiring one will help you save time.
Should I Use a Building Designer or an Architect?
Either way, you can use both for different reasons.
The cost for their services is not far adrift. If you have a limited budget, the best option would be to hire only one of them.
The nature of the project and your budget should be your guiding factors for deciding whom to hire.
If your project is small and your budget is limited, it would be best to go with a building designer.
If it is a big project and you have no problems handing out a sizeable payment fee, by all means, go for an architect.
The general fact is that an architect can work with larger floorplans and more public-facing spaces.
Don’t forget to do some research while choosing between either.
A detailed look into their past projects and level of experience will do.
Also, please make a point of understanding their design style. Different designers have different styles, which will significantly impact the result of your project.
Residential design is an art that aims to create a house that looks good and, more importantly, gives us the ability to live a comfortable life.
The design of buildings could be one of the most important decisions we make in our lives. It can positively impact your quality of life.
There are some great reasons to use a home designer. First, they can help you make your house more comfortable and beautiful.
The designer also plays an essential role in making your house a better place to spend your time.
They can also create beautiful spaces as they have experience working on different houses.
A good designer can help you make the right decisions to save time and money.
Therefore, if you are planning any home renovation or remodeling in the future, then it is undoubtedly a great idea to start looking for a designer.
Overall, using a residential designer is worth it if you have the budget and are willing to spend the money for great results.
If you’re looking for a residential designer, we offer two ways to search in your area:
- You can search for our Certified Professional Building Designers, or
- You can search for our Professional Members.