Thank you for considering being a volunteer.
The American Institute of Building Design hosts the SkillsUSA National Architectural Drafting Contest. It is held in person at the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta, GA.
We are in need of volunteers for many functions.
- Set-Up: Monday, June 19, 2023, 1:00 to 5:00 pm (maybe later) – Light lifting, setting up chairs and tables, covering the tables with paper, running electrical cords, and setting up the plotter. One or two volunteers, but the more we have, the fast it’s done. The chairperson will take out for a light dinner afterward.
- Orientation: Tuesday, June 20, 2023, 2:00 to 4:00 pm – One volunteer is needed to assist the chairperson.
- Proctor/Printer: Wednesday, June 21, 2023, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm – One volunteer to assist the chairperson during the written test (8 to 9 am) and a second volunteer to help while the students set up their workstations. The students will familiarize themselves with the title block DWG file, save it as a PDF, and print it with the onsite plotter.
- Competition Supervisors: Thursday, June 22, 2023, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm – One or two volunteers to assist the chairperson during the design competition. There will be 50+ students with questions and possible software issues who will need our guidance. A box lunch is provided for lunch and dinner.
- Judging: Thursday, June 22, 2023, 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm – Six to seven volunteers are needed to create an efficient, speedy, and reliable judging team. One volunteer will be needed to step and chair the judging team. An orientation and examples of last year’s judging can be provided to prepare the lead judge for their work. A box lunch is provided for dinner.
- Tear Down: Thursday, June 22, 2023, 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm – One or two volunteers are needed to assist the chairperson with removing the paper from the table tops, folding the tables and chairs, and rolling up the power cords.
- Competition Chairperson (in training): Monday through Friday – AIBD is always looking for great leadership, but we know it’s scary to sign up without knowing what you’re involved in. Volunteer to be a part of the proceedings off-and-on all week and prepare yourself for taking the reigns and guiding our future classes of high school and college drafting students while being an ambassador of our industry.
If you have questions, contact Steve Mickley at steve@AIBD.org.